- The Story of Food
- Seasonal, Local Foods
- Food Traditions
- Food and Ecosystems
- Analyzing Food Ads
- School Lunch Survey
- Nourish Action Projects
Nutrition Education Program
Our vision is to have a healthy community, free from obesity, Type II Diabetes and all diet-related diseases.
The mission of the nutrition education program at the Food Bank of Corpus Christ is to inspire change in food choices and behaviors of children and adults so they can live healthier lives. We emphasize a lifestyle rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, water and daily exercise. We strive to collaborate with other community partners for the same goal, and make sure everyone has access to fresh fruits and vegetables.
We value compassion, collaboration, inspiration, integrity and creativity for our work and our vision of this community.
Diabetes Hands-On Program
Reunion Time Is Here!
- 8 week course
- 2 hour class one day a week
- Morning or evening classes
- Hands On learning
- Meal or snack served in class
- Healthy eating on a budget
- Free of Charge
For more information call: 361-887-7979
Kids Cafe Program
The Kids’ Café is an after-school program that provides a safe environment where children who do not have adult supervision after school can come and receive a hot meal or snack, in addition to homework assistance. Educational, physical, and social activities are also included as part of he program. The Kids’ Café strives to offer benefits that will hopefully remain with these children their whole lives. During the 2015-2016 school year we served 4,470 meals at 8 sites with more than 100 kids.
Contact the Food Bank of Corpus Christi to find out if there is a Kids’ Café Site in your area.
The Goals of the Kids’ Café is to:
- Alleviate childhood hunger by providing nutritionally adequate hot meals or snacks
- Educate children and their families about nutrition and healthy eating habits to help them make better food
- Provide a safe and encouraging learning environment for children who do not have after school adult supervision
- Provide children with educational, social and recreational interaction
- Provide volunteers with a rewarding experience
- Empower the community in response to problem of childhood hunger
Kids Cafe Backpack Program
The Kids’ Café Backpack program aims to provide children with nutritious food to take home for the weekend. The backpack is given on the last day before weekend or holiday vacations. The food provided is nutritious and child friendly. In fact, in 2015 the Food Bank of Corpus Christi distributed 56,011 backpacks and we expect that number to increase in 2016.
How the program works:
1. Extreme food insecure children are identified by school nurses, teachers or counselors to receive a pack each week.
2. A pack is given to a child who has been identified as at risk hunger.
3. The student will receive a pack on Friday before leaving for home.
Mobile Pantry Program
The Mobile Pantry is a program to reach those in rural areas in the surrounding counties. Our goal is to provide and distribute food and personal care items on a monthly basis in the smaller cities that don’t have local help. The Food Bank of Corpus Christi currently reaches out to the cities like Benavides, Concepcion, Orange Grove, Premont, Realitos, and San Jose.
The Outreach Program helps with application assistance provided from start to finish via telephone or in person for those without transportation, ill, disabled, or for those with inflexible work or school schedules.
- Food Stamps (SNAP)
- TANF (cash assistance)
- Women’s Health Program (special Medicaid for women ages 18-44)
- Medicare Savings Program
For assistance call: Social Services Coordinator Clara Degollado at (361) 887-6291 ext. 109
Volunteers are essential to the Food Bank of Corpus Christi. Each month, volunteers contribute more than 3,000 hours to support the Food Bank’s mission by sorting donations, serving clients, working in the Community Garden and a variety of administrative opportunities.
Volunteers can help Monday – Friday from 1 pm to 8 pm, and groups of 12 or more can be scheduled in for specific week days or Saturdays. We ask that our volunteers dress appropriately by wearing closed toe shoes, dress comfortably, and any volunteer under the age of 14 yrs old will have to be accompanied by an adult. If you’re interested in volunteering your time you can email James Burnett email@example.com contact us at 361-887-6291.