Diabetes Hands-On Program
Reunion Time Is Here!
News:Volume 5 Issue 11 November – December 2013
- 8 week course
- 2 hour class one day a week
- Morning or evening classes
- Hands On learning
- Meal or snack served in class
- Healthy eating on a budget
- Free of Charge
For more information call: 361-887-7979
Kids Cafe Program
The Kids’ Café is an after-school program that provides a safe environment where children who do not have adult supervision after school can come and receive a hot meal or snack, in addition to homework assistance. Educational, physical, and social activities are also included as part of he program. The Kids’ Café strives to offer benefits that will hopefully remain with these children their whole lives.
The goal of the Kids’ Café is to help “at risk” children lead active and healthy lifestyles and at the same time provide food and the educational support that often times is lacking at home and to:
- Alleviate childhood hunger by providing nutritionally adequate hot meals or snacks
- Educate children and their families about nutrition and healthy eating habits to help them make better food
- Provide a safe and encouraging learning environment for children who do not have after school adult supervision
- Provide children with educational, social and recreational interaction
- Provide volunteers with a rewarding experience
- Empower the community in response to problem of childhood hunger
Kids Cafe Backpack Program
The Kids’ Café Backpack program aims to provide children with nutritious food to take home for the weekend. The backpack is given on the last day before weekend or holiday vacations. The food provided is nutritious and child friendly.
How the program works:
1. Extreme food insecure children are identified by school nurse, teachers or councilors to receive a pack each week.
2. A pack is given to a child who has been identified as at risk hunger.
3. The student will receive a pack on Friday before leaving for home.
Mobile Pantry Program
The Mobile Pantry is a program to reach those in rural areas in the surrounding counties. Our goal is to provide and distribute food and personal care items on a monthly basis in the smaller cities that don’t have local help. The Food Bank of Corpus Christi currently reaches out to the cities like Benavides, Concepcion, Driscoll, Orange Grove, Premont, Realitos, and San Jose.
Nutrition Education Program
This is a comprehensive nutrition education curriculum created by the Nutrition Education Department of the Food Bank of Corpus Christi in cooperation with the USDA’s SNAP Education Program.
“Healthy Kitchens” is a 6-week class that meets once a week to talk about many topics including:
- My Plate
- Nutrition Label Reading
- Shopping & Eating on a Budget
- Healthy Cooking
- Cooking Demos
The program is offered to individuals as well as to partner agencies, community agencies, and rural communities within all of our 11 counties.
The Outreach Program helps with application assistance provided from start to finish via telephone or in person for those without transportation, ill, disabled, or for those with inflexible work or school schedules.
- Food Stamps
- TANF (cash assistance)
- Adult Medicaid
- Women’s Health Program (special medicaid for women ages 18-44)
- Chip/Children’s Medicaid
- Chip Perinatal Benefits (for your unborn child)
- Long Term Care (medicaid for seniors 65+ or disabled)
- SNAP Cap (food stamps for seniors 50+ and on SSI)
For assistance call: Helen Escamilla at (361) 887-6291 ext. 109
Volunteers are essential to the Food Bank of Corpus Christi. Each month, volunteers contribute more than 3,000 hours to support the Food Bank’s mission by sorting donations, serving clients, working in the Community Garden and a variety of administrative opportunities.
Volunteers can help Monday – Friday from 1 pm to 4 pm, and groups of 12 or more can be scheduled in for specific week days or Saturdays. We ask that our volunteers dress appropriately by wearing closed toe shoes, dress comfortably, and any volunteer under the age of 14 yrs old will have to be accompanied by an adult. If you’re interested in volunteering your time, email Debbie Stahl at email@example.com or contact us at 361-887-6291.